Friday, August 27, 2004

A start...

Hey guys!

I’ve been reading blogs for, what? a long long time now I think, and I’m just so amazed at the depths people can think to, and how organized their thoughts can be. I think that I can never be like that, for my mind jumps from topic to topic at a blink of an eye and I can never order them right. Perhaps that’s why I’m in two minds of maintaining a blog – sometimes I feel I can string a couple of coherent sentences together that best describe what I want to say, and sometimes I don’t even want to bother to take the time and effort to do that. I read a quote once that really hit me hard:

To write or to speak, is almost inevitably to lie a little. It is an attempt to clothe an intangible in a tangible form; to compress an immeasurably into a mold. And in the act of compression, how Truth is mangled and torn!” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh, American writer

This is especially so as someone who finds it hard to put thoughts into word whether written or spoken, because I feel that whatever I say or write is a poor representation of what I’m thinking right at that moment, and whatever words I use may not be interpreted the right way by others who are listening/reading. There’s also this issue of emotions and how non-verbal communication (NVC for those who know) conveys those emotions to whoever you’re talking/writing to subconsciously, and sometimes your NVC sends out signals that you don’t want sent out. Isn’t crazy how complicated communication is sometimes? I find it hard to concentrate on saying/writing the right things the same time as conveying the correct emotions, as making sure that the audience (for want of a right word) interprets correctly what I’m meaning, as well as not offending the audience etc. But I’m learning, albeit slowly. So bear with me as I try and find the right words (to the extent of being long-winded at times) to describe the myriad of experiences and emotions that pass through my life everyday…

And therefore does my blogging start. Do I hear sighs and shouts of "About time!" and "Finally!" ? Yeah I've been taking my time, been thinking on and off about this, even since before YP popped the question of why I don't blog (Yes! that long!). Here's a toast to my blog, may its life be long and fulfilling! Yam-seng! :>

No comments: