Thursday, September 30, 2004

Being choosy about Love and Happiness

Don't ask me about my haemato exam. It was that bad. And I forgot to go and collect my respi exam results too. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

I was reading the article above on RELEVANT magazine and it struck me, how everything we do is choice. We don't get forced to do things, we choose, and even if we're forced into doing something we choose to submit and not fight against it.
God's greatest gift to mankind is His son Jesus. If so, His second greatest gift, and the most risky one, was the gift of choice. We puny human beings with limited knowledge were given the responsibility of deciding over good and evil, or whether to brush our teeth tonight or not. We choose whether we want to believe in Him or not - He doesn't shove the gospel down our throats and forces us to believe against our will (some of His more "devout" followers would, but that's another matter entirely). From that monumental decision to the little everyday actions, we choose what we do, whether consciously or without a thought. You choose what time you want to wake up, what to have for breakfast (or to skip it if you're rushing for classes), whether to be active and learn something from lessons or just blank out, whether to be nice to that friend of yours or just give a cursory "Hi", whether to study or do something else - all the choices in the world for us to make. And sometimes there are no right choices - the options you have may just be a shade better, or worse, than the others. But we inevitably choose.
Choosing is tough, I'd say. Wouldn't it be nice, sometimes, just to have set guidelines to follow for each and every choice we have to make? "If A, then choose B. If not, then choose C. And if all else fails, choose D." But it's never that simple.
If we were given the choice, would we want to be able to choose? On one hand, having no decisions to make would be so easy. On the other hand, would we want to give up control of our lives?
I choose to choose. I choose, therefore I am. I choose God, therefore I am His. I choose to be content, therefore I will not fret about my exam and look on towards GI. I choose peace, therefore however down I am I will look to find the silver lining of every cloud.
I haven't made many good choices lately - more selfish choices than not. My resolution, my choice, is to choose right. As right as I can make my choice to be.

Hmm... in a contemplative mood tonight. Attribute it to the exam...

It's very late.
Bed awaits.

No comments: