Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Working Holiday

Back in Kuching for a sort of working holiday - attachment with Dr. KHL. Nothing much, the normal stuff, and a lot of "cough and cold". And a lot of histories in Mandarin, Hokkien and Foochow! Let's see if I can "osmose" this influx of information.
Other than that, I've been catching up with my reading and movies. Reading highlight: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In a nutshell, the book had some interesting (and/or shocking) bits but it felt like a space-filler between books 5 and 7, a place where JK Rowling could set the scene for the next book. If that's the case, the next book should be a whopper! Read this book for continuity only. Movie highlight: Well, not really a highlight. Finally (!!) watched Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. *yawn* Ok, granted I'm not a Star Wars fan anyway, but the minimal dialogue was stilted, and the fight scenes were, well, predictable. And "tak masuk akal" (didn't make sense) sometimes. Another "watch/read for continuity" kind of thing. What was good for me were the two British movies that I watched: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Being Julia. For H2G2, read the book first, so that you get the humour and the inside jokes - so very British. Being Julia is based on a W. Somerset Maugham play, and its portrayal of human revenge is quite interesting.
Last thing before I get some shut-eye: I'm obliged to get myself a new digital camera, but I have no idea what to get! Any suggestions/comments/recommendations? Something good but not too hard to use or have too many fancy functions, and with an okay price to match. Thanks for your input everyone! :)

No comments: