Sunday, October 01, 2006

Updates

Pek's Birthday @ Newcastle

Last weekend I took an overnight bus up to Newcastle (6+ hours!) after Pek's kind invitation to celebrate his birthday with him. Thankfully I was tired after a long day in the hospital (on call, post-take ward round, and LUMBAR PUNCTURE!!) and was zonked about half the way there. (I took the train back, and it was much smoother and comfortable ride. Better to take the train, unless the timing's about the same, since bus is cheaper.)

Peks and Heintz were so sweet as to get up after just 3 hours of sleep to meet me at the bus station and go for breakfast. Then it was off to the seaside, with another of Pek's friends!

Tynemouth is a quaint village by the sea, at the mouth of the Tyne river (it figures, doesn't it? And it also figures why Newcastle is Newcastle-upon-Tyne). Seeing the beach after a month of city was very liberating, and although it was a bit too chilly to wade in the water, the mere smell of seawater in the air was refreshing. We all had a long walk along the water's edge, taking pictures and exploring places, before stopping at a fish-and-chip shop for a delicious English meal, and buying some sweets with the funniest signs ("Wife and dog missing. Reward offered for dog." "Please don't touch items on sale. You might have just dug your nose.") Also good was the little market by the metro station - used "antique" stuff, and loads of cheap jewellery (Rach, you'd have loved it).

The part of Newcastle that was upon the Tyne itself was nice too, with the Millenium Bridge and the Baltic Art Gallery in the background, especially in the evening, when it felt the most laidback.


Artistic views of Tyne River from Baltic Art Gallery

That night was definitely not laidback, though. After a sumptuous Chinese dinner with Pek and his friends, they proceeded to paint the town red, while it rained intermittently all night. Nuff said, except I bumped into Sandee in the unlikeliest of places! Apparently she came on a last minute invite out, and I was clueless about my itinery so I couldn't tell her for sure, so we had a good laugh over the strange and delightful coincidence. That quite brightened up my night!

All in all, a good weekend catching up with friends, and making some new ones. Thanks, Peks, for your hospitality (and pics please!).

--------------------------------

Madame Tussaud's with YL

Wednesday was our first 1/2 day off in a while, and I took advantage of that (and YL's 2 for 1 ticket) to join her at Madame Tussaud's. Before that, however, I had a opportunity to go to Regent's Park to have my lunch, and I was enthralled by the park - so well manicured, and sheltered from the outside world! As you step in, the sounds from the outside muffle, and you're in paradise. It's definitely a place I need to revisit, since I didn't have time to explore the whole park.

Madame Tussaud's was, as usual, a photo-taking frenzy, though with less statues than I'd expected (photos from my childhood led me on about this, I think). But the Dungeons Live! exhibition was scary enough to make it worthwhile (and short enough not to be feared), and the "Spirit of London" amusement ride was short but sweet and interesting.


Chefs in the making!

One yummy Mocha and a long talk later, we were at her apartment, waiting for her to finish cooking dinner. And a delicious Chinese home-cooked dinner it was too! That settled the cooking business for me - we were going to cook meals more often now! Which is what we're doing now, with success rates being quite high so far (nothing burnt yet!).

--------------------------------

Artsy Day Out

After unravelling our own museum plans for Saturday, SH and I decided to do the next best thing - hit the Tates. That is, Tate Britain and Tate Modern. Since Tate Britain closed earlier, we went there first.


Tate Britain

Entrance was free (whoopee!) and we were treated to lovely paintings from the olden times (I think I like John Piper's paintings) in 17 rooms with architecture very suited to the paintings they held. We spent over an hour taking in the sights, understanding if not appreciating the pictures. In contrast, the other 17 rooms with modern art left us mostly puzzled and sometimes amused and taken aback. Like the Phil Collins one with Palestinian teenagers videoed in a disco marathon - what's up with that? And coloured lines and circles, which a meticulous 5-year-old could draw.
With our indifferent take on modern art in view, we (I think wisely) sidestepped the Tate Modern in preference to dinner at "My Old Dutch", where we were served the biggest pancake ever. A relaxing and enjoyable day out.


Dutch Pancake with Bacon, Apple, and Maple Syrup

--------------------------------

Kickin' in the Rain
Imagine a great big field (3 rugby pitches wide and long, and then some) with a small playground at the side.

Imagine it under a torrential thunderstorm, rather like a mild Malaysian storm, with a temperature of about 15 C.

Imagine, in the middle of the field, 7 girls and 1 guy, kicking a ball around like it wasn't raining (or at least deluding ourselves into thinking so).

That was me, doing something I'd never have done back home, at normal temperature.

Call me mad, but it was exhilirating, and rather liberating, running around without a care under a great big shower. I was almost disappointed we stopped, and true to the nature of weather, it turned its taps off soon after we adjourned to dry up.

Anyway, I hope to see more of the friendly football team (who are really strong kickers, by the way), but perhaps not under the same circumstances as today!

--------------------------------


It's quite frustrating when one is determined, consciously or unconsciously, to make trouble for oneself. Yet it happens anyway, especially when there are other better things to think about. What irony life holds.

--------------------------------


We've found a church that seems to suit what we're looking for - small, not too conservative (and not too jumpy), quite friendly, and very near our residence. Today's communion service was dearly needed, and gratefully received. Summerstown Mission, it's called, and hope to have summery times there.

--------------------------------


It's getting colder out here - temperature's dropping from the 20s to the 10s, and perhaps, one night next week, it'll dip into single digits. Autumn is coming to stay, to get ready the way for Winter. I'm half shivering from anticipation, and half shivering from the cold.

--------------------------------

To sleep, to sleep, my warm bed beckons, the trees and the wind whisper good night. Good night!

No comments: