Thursday, February 28, 2008

Surgery?

I guess I've had it easier than most, having 5 years to moon around studying, and not thinking about the future until now. With graduation (if all goes well) in just over a year and so many choices to make, it's about time to get to know the future and what it might bring.


Which is why I spent the evening at a surgical careers night, feeling somewhat like an imposter in a lecture theatre chockful of Imperial students, being spoken to by doctors connected in some way to Imperial and its affiliated hospitals. They had very esteemed and entertaining speakers, including the present Health Minister Prof Ara Darzi, though at times the evening threatened to turn into a trip down memory lane with *insert speaker's name* - Prof Darzi regalled us with the story of how he became health minister before touching briefly on the NHS. In an answer to a question about international students graduating from the UK (which was brought up twice in the night), he said that we were NOT international medical graduates and would get jobs, HOWEVER he's not working in the home office so don't ask him about how easy it is to get a visa to work. So, yes, back to square 1.


Amidst the self-sellings of several surgeons and long-winded (though quite entertaining) tales, I finally gained a better understanding of the NHS and MMC and how the surgical career pathway is like, as well as the ideal work I need to put in, starting ages ago, if I want to be up there with the rest of the competition for surgical posts. Well, it's never too late!


Meanwhile, I've been feeding the sweet tooth in me - baking chocolate cake, carrot cake, chocolate meringues, and this:




Seri muka membuat muka yang seri ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

getting jobs here? aren't you to go back to your home country?