Monday, November 02, 2009

Birthday ruminations

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this "special" day of mine! In true Malaysian style, I spent the days running up to it EATING - laksa (the smell lingers around my flat), a Malaysian mix-and-match of cuisine, and lots and lots of cake. Perhaps too much eating, for over the weekend I just felt like sleeping, which isn't what I was supposed to do! It was just as well as the flow of patients was just about a trickle.

I've settled into the rhythm of the job I think, 3 months in (and changing jobs in a month's time!), and although I still get bullied sometimes by the nurses and allied health professionals, I'm learning how to assess situations by asking relevant questions so I don't rush around like a headless chicken trying to please everyone. I know my own agenda better, and try to meet that while accomodating the requests of others. I still feel very junior, but a more capable one than that green girl who stepped onto the "Green Mile" 3 months back!

And amazingly, I'm finding time to indulge in other pursuits as well - reading, blogging (as evidenced), music, movies, food, exercise, friends, holidays. If all goes well, I'll have a week in NYC to look forward to, a regular prayer support group in the hospital (setup still pending), a new camera whose resolution is higher than my camera phone, my audit set up and running, and less hiccups in the daily living out of my duties as a doctor. And maybe more time in theatre...

No comments: