Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Oldies

I brought back several of my old tapes and CDs from Kuching the other day, and I’m loving them all over again. Of them, 4 are noteworthy:
  1. Celine Dion – Yeah I like her. :) She’s got a good voice and the songs that she sings, or rather, sang, last time were good too. Now I guess she’s got other things on her hands than concentrate on singing.
  2. Jesus is the Reason – production of TMC, with songs by the likes of Matthias Foo, John Chieng, Tracey Mamora, Vincent Wong, Tan Eng Hean etc. A very local and Chinese production and I wouldn’t have brought it here except for two songs – one by Uncle Tracey: “The Rich Fool”, and the other by Vin, sung by Sharon Chieng: “Remember Your Creator”. Good songs both of them. “Remember Your Creator” is based on Ecclesiastes 12:1 and was the theme song of the one and only TMC youth camp I attended in Kuching. Ah, memories…
  3. Bob Carlisle’s “Shades of Grace” – No, I didn’t buy this because it had my name in the album name! I initially bought it because it had the lovely song “Butterfly Kisses” in it, not once but twice! But I found out that this album of his had other songs just as deep and meaningful. Favourites besides “Butterfly Kisses” are “One Man Revival” and “It is Well with my Soul”. I find his style somewhat like Stevie Wonder sometimes, but other songs have a country-ish influence in them. He is, after all, from Nashville…
  4. Rich Mullins – Don’t know the name of the album (my copy’s a copy hehe) but the cover features a man, head down (him I think), standing in front of a church building’s door. I love all the songs in this tape! It starts off with “Sing Your Praise to the Lord” which starts off with one of Bach’s Preludes & Fugues that I played before. This album includes an a cappella song, “Screen Door”, with claps and stomps as accompaniment, and an odd-titled song – “Alrightokuhhuhamen”. Anyone who can decipher that is pretty smart… *grin*. It also has the chorus “Awesome God”, with the verses included. All I want now are the written lyrics to the songs so I can sing along...

Thanks to my car and its tape player, I can now listen to these tapes. Woo hoo! And anyone who wants can borrow them - music like this can't be kept to one's own self. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i've got the rich mullins cassette in kuching too.. the ORIGINAL :P good stuff, that.

rach