Orientation M204 is finally over, or at least my part in it is. What a tiring week it was, and even more so for those who were in the committee! Though my part was pretty small, to say the least. I volunteered to become stationmaster (SM) since I had already become Orientation Officer (OO) the semester before and didn’t think I wanted to do the demanding job again. Besides that, I had to give out signatures as a member of the student’s representative council. Sounds alright, but there were other distractions such as lectures in the afternoon, and an important test on Wednesday, so I couldn’t enjoy it to its fullest.
For the signature hunt, I was at quite a loss at what to ask them to do for me. I’m just not as creative as other people like Daniel, who lined them up and had them take turns to sing a song syllable by syllable. One group had to redo their “Negara-ku” 5 times because they kept on getting lost! In the end, I asked them to do their cheer in pig-latin (ie. book = ookbay, egg = eggsay, stretch = etchstray etc.) which was quite interesting, though some groups did it in a very lacklustre way. I had actually set one group the task of finding their batchmate whose birthday was on Halloween’s (their dress-up theme for that day) but they only found out after I had signed for them.
Some of their cheers were quite interesting – one used the “I love you baby” song and changed the lyrics, and another group was bovine-oriented while making fun of the IMU phrase “Together, Learning” with “Together, Milking”. The cheers and all that are a bit too lurid for me to write here… hehe
I wasn’t involved in ice-breakers, though I did spectate from the rooftop for a while after lectures. My main event was the treasure hunt, where I was in charge of a station. Caryn, Adeline, Jody and I mixed up flour, water and colour to make lovely palettes “make-up” for them to apply on their faces, as well as eggs, coffee, chili powder, and chili sauce. In between groups, we got bored so we started mixing all our ingredients together, coming up with a gross-looking coffee-egg-flour-water mixture in which we dipped eggs to use on the juniors. And in an effort to get their shirts dirty so that they would buy new ones and finish the supply, we put our special concoctions on their shirts. In spite of this, I think we were one of the mildest stations in the whole history of IMU orientation! I’m glad that the other stations were better than mine, though some of my sources say that a station down at the 3 rocks was as mild, or perhaps even milder than mine, which was totally unlike that group of SMs… *grin* Not all the groups visited my station, and we were so bored that we started throwing flour at each other instead! The wind prevented me from taking my due revenge on Jody :p
Well, Friday was a wasted day in terms of studying coz I helped out in the prop-making for variety night and gave out a few signatures. Variety night itself was quite well done, though I think Ryan, my ex-A levels classmate, aka Sailor Venus should have won. He was easily the most “authentic” IMCC (say it! I-M-C-C, or International Miss Congeniality Contest LoL) though he probably lost out due to his voice which he couldn't "girlify" due to a sore throat. Sketches were okay, but some of the ideas were too much recycled already, so it became boring after a while. Not much creativity in that area, except of course the winning ThunderCats sketch. We surprised Yee Pei with her favourite birthday cake before the judging of the IMCCs and had the 5 finalists feed her a bit of cake. I’m not sure if she still likes the cake now… :> When everything finished at 1 am we were all tired out but we still went mamak! Imagine that! And the next day the committee members had to go for telematch at 7 am!! I didn’t, so I slept in. *grin* And went to the field at 9 something, where I spent not even 10 minutes before being dirtied with flour and butter and egg-mix. Yucks! So much for staying clean. I yelled myself hoarse in the cheer fight between seniors and juniors and scraped my knee and palms trying to tackle a junior in British Bulldogs (which is something like a cross between rugby and catch). I managed to get through the junior defence line when the seniors were attacking though! An achievement! Didn’t go for BBQ because I had a date with my dad - and a very wonderful date too! LoL Details later...
Comments about orientation? I had fun in what I think was the mildest orientation yet. There was some problems in the course of preparing and running this orientation which could have been avoided though, and in the process some of the seniors might have become pissed off for not being allowed do as they wanted to. But the M2/03 committee had their reasons for doing that and I think in that they were justified. Perhaps the implementation of ideas needed work...? I'm not in a position to judge or comment here. But orientation’s not about us, isn’t it? It boils down to the juniors and whether they had fun or not. They’d better have had fun! Or else we’ll come get them… We are, after all, the masters of the M204 puppets… muahahahahha *evil grin*
For the signature hunt, I was at quite a loss at what to ask them to do for me. I’m just not as creative as other people like Daniel, who lined them up and had them take turns to sing a song syllable by syllable. One group had to redo their “Negara-ku” 5 times because they kept on getting lost! In the end, I asked them to do their cheer in pig-latin (ie. book = ookbay, egg = eggsay, stretch = etchstray etc.) which was quite interesting, though some groups did it in a very lacklustre way. I had actually set one group the task of finding their batchmate whose birthday was on Halloween’s (their dress-up theme for that day) but they only found out after I had signed for them.
Some of their cheers were quite interesting – one used the “I love you baby” song and changed the lyrics, and another group was bovine-oriented while making fun of the IMU phrase “Together, Learning” with “Together, Milking”. The cheers and all that are a bit too lurid for me to write here… hehe
I wasn’t involved in ice-breakers, though I did spectate from the rooftop for a while after lectures. My main event was the treasure hunt, where I was in charge of a station. Caryn, Adeline, Jody and I mixed up flour, water and colour to make lovely palettes “make-up” for them to apply on their faces, as well as eggs, coffee, chili powder, and chili sauce. In between groups, we got bored so we started mixing all our ingredients together, coming up with a gross-looking coffee-egg-flour-water mixture in which we dipped eggs to use on the juniors. And in an effort to get their shirts dirty so that they would buy new ones and finish the supply, we put our special concoctions on their shirts. In spite of this, I think we were one of the mildest stations in the whole history of IMU orientation! I’m glad that the other stations were better than mine, though some of my sources say that a station down at the 3 rocks was as mild, or perhaps even milder than mine, which was totally unlike that group of SMs… *grin* Not all the groups visited my station, and we were so bored that we started throwing flour at each other instead! The wind prevented me from taking my due revenge on Jody :p
Well, Friday was a wasted day in terms of studying coz I helped out in the prop-making for variety night and gave out a few signatures. Variety night itself was quite well done, though I think Ryan, my ex-A levels classmate, aka Sailor Venus should have won. He was easily the most “authentic” IMCC (say it! I-M-C-C, or International Miss Congeniality Contest LoL) though he probably lost out due to his voice which he couldn't "girlify" due to a sore throat. Sketches were okay, but some of the ideas were too much recycled already, so it became boring after a while. Not much creativity in that area, except of course the winning ThunderCats sketch. We surprised Yee Pei with her favourite birthday cake before the judging of the IMCCs and had the 5 finalists feed her a bit of cake. I’m not sure if she still likes the cake now… :> When everything finished at 1 am we were all tired out but we still went mamak! Imagine that! And the next day the committee members had to go for telematch at 7 am!! I didn’t, so I slept in. *grin* And went to the field at 9 something, where I spent not even 10 minutes before being dirtied with flour and butter and egg-mix. Yucks! So much for staying clean. I yelled myself hoarse in the cheer fight between seniors and juniors and scraped my knee and palms trying to tackle a junior in British Bulldogs (which is something like a cross between rugby and catch). I managed to get through the junior defence line when the seniors were attacking though! An achievement! Didn’t go for BBQ because I had a date with my dad - and a very wonderful date too! LoL Details later...
Comments about orientation? I had fun in what I think was the mildest orientation yet. There was some problems in the course of preparing and running this orientation which could have been avoided though, and in the process some of the seniors might have become pissed off for not being allowed do as they wanted to. But the M2/03 committee had their reasons for doing that and I think in that they were justified. Perhaps the implementation of ideas needed work...? I'm not in a position to judge or comment here. But orientation’s not about us, isn’t it? It boils down to the juniors and whether they had fun or not. They’d better have had fun! Or else we’ll come get them… We are, after all, the masters of the M204 puppets… muahahahahha *evil grin*
“Juniors juniors watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when we come for you!” -- Masters of Puppets

No comments:
Post a Comment