Wednesday, September 01, 2004

No more a fish...

Today (or rather yesterday) was my last day in the fish tank, aka the VMU Experimental Lab, called the fish tank because of its wonderful glass windows that look out into the library's lower floor. Actually they let people stare in rather than us stare out, because what we do in the lab is so much more interesting! :>
VMU stands for Virtual Medical University, which I was a part of for 3 weeks, studying the respiratory system. I, and 19 others, were not allowed to attend traditional lectures, but instead had lectures online, supplemented by goodies like animations. Our tutorials were also based on multimedia triggers.
The perks: My own computer with LCD screen and headphones and a super-fast internet connection (only when the server was up of course...). The ability to pause, rewind, and fast forward a lecturer any time during an i-lecture. The freedom to check mail, listen to music, and do other activities while or in between listening to lecturers without them kicking up a fuss - man, I'm gonna miss KLVV radio station! The presence of animations helped (a bit) in understanding the study material. Etc...
The downside: Being called a fish. Being stared at by the studious library people. Having to take down pages and pages of notes until my hand hurt. The animations being not up to standard. Not being able to applaud after lectures (yes I DO miss that :) ). Not being able to talk to friends other than the 19 other fish (not that those 19 fish were bad company, on the contrary they were great company! :> ). Not knowing whether we were getting the same amount of information that our normal-lecture counterparts were getting. Etc...
Not a comprehensive list, but I hope it gives you guys a rough idea. I really am going to miss going to that lab and spending all day on a very nice comp, but all the same I'm glad that I'm back to normal old lectures - where if you float off in a daydream, when you come back to the real world whatever the lecturer said will be lost forever. On to haematological system!

My workstation in the lab

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heya cuz.. is that a placard with your name on it :)? The Meds here get this really big nametag that says "STUDENT DOCTOR" above their name, and they wear it to the hospitals. Caused quite a bit of confusion when they were in first year and some oft he patients thought they were interns :P hehe

on a more serious note, thank you for your comment on my blog.. i know: alternative med isn't something we often put our faith in. but neither should conventional medicine be the stronghold of our faith, oui? I'm still having faith in Jesus to heal...

luv, rach