Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Encounter

Something funny happened in the lift when I was going up to my apartment. This very Chinese-looking man started a conversation with me, which went something like this:

Chinese Man: Are you a student here?

Me: Yeah I am.

CM: Ah, a future doctor I see!

Me: Yeah, if I get through!

CM: Insya-allah!

Me: ???...... Hopefully God lets me!

With that unfortunate statement the lift reached my floor and I exited. In retrospect I regret that I didn't have the presence of mind to grasp the opportunity to delve into his beliefs, or at least make it clear to him that I believe in THE almighty all-knowing Christian GOD. I think it would have been so interesting to know why he chose Islam as his religion, yet with my poor knowledge of theology and Islam I could not have possibly held my own against him. A case of awkwardness getting the better of me. Again. *sigh*

Just this recounting of the incident, before I forget about it, for now. There isn't sufficient time for my slow mind to reflect on this week yet. Perhaps the weekend, when most things have been done and are over. Till then.

By the way, isn't it funny how the word "funny" can be used to mean two situations, one actually meaning funny and the other not funny at all?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whw knows, grace, you may just meet him again...

btw, would your apartment have enough room for one poor student looking for a place to crash and catch up on some cuzzie talk :) ?
I want to go the last week of Nov. let me know how much IMU torture you will be expecting then

rach

Grace said...

EEKK!!! RACH'S COMING OVER!!!! :) :) :)
i think you've chosen a great time to come over btw, i'd have just had my GI exam. as for a place to stay, that shouldn't be a problem coz i have half a bed to "lelong" away :)