Okay, so it's my birthday too, but I'm not about to publicise it. :P
In conjunction with this auspicious day, I decided to change my blog layout, and I'm pleased with what I, a near-IT-illiterate person, could do by just tweaking the original layout. What's new? Everything! Except probably the basic layout. I've added the Haloscan commenting system, after persuasion from YP and Elena, and also a countdown timer to remind me that I'm not supposed to be spending too much time online. Comments anyone? The lines on the pictures are from a certain poem that I like. Hats off to anyone who can give me the full text and author of the poem! It's pretty easy...
My birthday celebration was interesting to say the least. My antennas were alerted when Caryn asked me out of the blue to "just have lunch with her and YP on Friday before she went back to Seremban" which was quite weird already. Then SJ was making lots of calls and sequestering herself in her room with Caryn; several people approached me and asked/implied/stated that my birthday was on Friday. The confirmation came with a certain someone coming up to me on the Friday itself and saying, "So, you guys going to Midvalley later right?" Ken Lin overheard that and I would have killed to have seen her face there and then. Unfortunately she was behind me. The confluence of M203-ians outside IMU as I walked out didn't help the surprise as well. Shal said I walked by with a secretive knowing smile on my face. I don't know if I did that, but sure knew something was afoot! :>
I made up my mind not to let on that I knew, but it was hard not to grin at the little "excuses" Caryn, my chauffeur for that day, and YP, the companion-in-car, made as we made small talk. The cat was let out of the bag when SJ told Caryn of my knowledge. Yet, there was another surprise to come. SJ, who was one of the main (and very competent I might add) planners of this event, had her birthday on 9/11, so we decided to surprise her instead with a cake.
A trio of giggling girls made their way up to Secret Recipe, cleverly bypassing Nando's, to buy the cake, while smses flew to make sure that everyone in Nando's knew of the counter-surprise. I wanted to carry the cake into Nando's so that meant I had to carry it around the shopping mall as well. Boy, did that attract attention, especially when YP and I were standing outside a pharmacy near Nando's waiting for the cue to go in! A middle-aged man even had the cheek to stand right in front of us and stare at the cake for at least half a minute before moving on!
All in all, the birthday song was sung thrice that time - once for SJ, then for Jasveen (happy belated! :> ) and then for me. Oh yes, there was also that Cantonese version sung by the guys from No ?? Taman Seruling, which was hilarious though I didn't understand a thing. I had to do the customary take-the-candle-out-of-the-cake-while-the-others-push-your-face-into-it thing and I got it bad. I got the raspberry covering in my hair, eyebrows, even some in my nose. I'd like to think that it would have been worse if it were icing though... :P
Surprise parties, at least those to do with 31 October, have the weirdest twists, don't they? *grin* I had a blast that Friday, thanks to all who made it, and especially thanks to those who planned it: SJ, Caryn, YP, etc. Thanks for making a birthday which I had no desire to celebrate something to be remembered.
Pictures from this occassion can be found at my Webshots and copies can be gotten direct from me.
Tis late, time to sleep and be refreshed for the day ahead. Have a spooky Halloween everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment