Sunday, November 14, 2004

Malaysian artists

How many people know that KLCC has a free-admissions art gallery? I'd say not many. I did, and last Deepavali as I waited for my siblings and cousins to go through the PetroSains exhibition I walked through the gallery. It was showing the Petronas Art Collection: Series I, featuring local artists, and I found out that Malaysia boasts, or rather hides, some quite competent artists. I liked this one:

Take a Cloud and Fly 1970 by Khoo Sui Hoe



Among the works were several batik pieces such as:


The Palm Tree 1964 by Tay Mo Leong


Rubber Tapper 1964 by Tay Mo Leong


Movement in Green, Blue and Red (I forgot who the artist is)

Don't they look spectacular? I spent a couple of years in school doing batik in art class, and all I did were geometrical patterns. I got so bored of them and so conditioned to the fact that batik = geometrical patterns! I also got used to the normal simplistic designs of the batik you see in the East Coast, so I was quite amazed when I saw those batik pieces being shown as works of art!They are quite deserving of those titles too. The artist who made the trio of "Movement" even did a self-portrait in batik style, and it looked like a painting. If Malaysia is to come up with any unique style of art I think batik could be it. After all, the techniques of watercolour painting and all the other mediums seem to have been explored quite fully by the Westerners.
Or perhaps not. There is this one Malaysian watercolour artist who seems to be very famous, without many of Malaysia's public knowing about him. His prints are sold at the Petronas Art Gallery for all who cares. He's Chang Fee Ming from Terengganu and his works are very characteristic. Supposedly one of his original paintings can fetch a few hundred thousand. Here's one of his paintings entitled "Pelangi" (rainbow).

Look at the detail that he puts into his work - exquisitely done. And most of his paintings feature the intricate and complicated patterns of dress in Asian countries. Check out his paintings at his website and see if you'd pay that much money for his work.
All in all, quite a worthwhile way to spend Deepavali I think, besides shopping and spending time with family.

No comments: