Thursday, January 27, 2005

Hong Kong

Hong Kong can probably be summed up in three things:

Food:

Portugese grill, egg tarts; Hong Kong dumpling noodles:

Squid; lovely mango drinks:

Snails!; pigeons:

China Airlines food (quite nice!); baked egg tarts:

Bird-like prawns:


Shopping:

Ladies' market; after a day's shopping:

Pottinger Street; downtown shopping:


Sight-seeing:

HK Promenade; on the Peak tram:

Waiting for the bus to Victoria Peak; on the bus:


Well, actually just 2. In the words of the daughter of our kind host, you go there to "mai(3) mai(3) chi(4) chi(4)" which means buy buy, eat eat (I hope I got my hanyu pinyin correct). Sight-seeing can probably come under shopping because most of the tourist attractions are markets and such where shopping is, well, required.

Another thing about HK is the amount of walking one has to do. HKees, my cousin and I observed, walk at a furious pace, and they walk to almost anywhere. Two groups of people will probably make loads of money because of this: shoemakers/shoe-sellers to replace their well-worn shoes, and orthopaedic specialists to replace their well-worn joints.

I think the highlight of our sightseeing was the Mde Tussaud's visit. Wax figues are fun!

Harrison Ford; Ayumi Hamasaki; Mohammad Ali:

William Shakespeare; Gerard Depardieu:


HK would never had been fun if not for a few wonderful people, that is:
My cuzzie Rach, who has also written about this trip here:

& my hosts, my mom's close cousin and wife, Uncle and Aunty Ong:


All in all, a great trip.

Though I'm not finished with HK yet. Perhaps another visit, when I have enough of my own money to spend...

No comments: