Sunday, March 20, 2005

Jaunts in Singapore

I'm back from Singapore! After 5 hours in a super-hot bus with the only relief coming from the weak jet of cooler air from the air-con above, it's nice to be back in my apartment. And before that I was waiting in Mini Thailand for my bus. Yes, you read right - mini Thailand, aka Golden Mile Shopping Centre. Just about EVERYTHING is in Thai there - the promotions and the flyers, the shop names, the things sold, the magazines and newspapers, the people... I was so surprised when I went in, it was like being transported into another country, ie. Thailand. Well, now I (and you all) know...
The reason I went down to Singapore for the weekend was to attend my cousin's wedding dinner. *Congrats Des and Sue Yin!* The dinner was held at the all-famous Raffles Hotel and I must say that it's the quaintest place I've ever seen. And probably the most high-class as well. The service was great, and the Chinese food was served to us in individual plates, which was weird as we all usually eat Chinese food like one big happy family plunging 10 different pairs of chopsticks into one big plate. The hotel also has a built-in theatre that looks transplanted from the old colonial days (oh wait, it's been there since then!) which looks fit to host full-scale operas! We went for a comedy show, a part of the Children's festival being held there at the time, which had its few moments of sparkling hilarity. The other times were just lame. I bet Uncle Andrew could do a better job of keeping the kids occupied. :>
And what would a trip down to Singapore be without some attempt to shop? Although after dividing by 2 and 10 before multiplying the digit by 2 made me confused and everything else seem so much more expensive. I also went window-shopping with my dad for audio and home theatre systems - so many more shops compared to KL made my father like a kid in the candy store, spending a whole day just going from one shop to another and testing the systems. Now that's a relaxing way to spend time.
So, a great time with my mom, dad, and sister. What about my brother? Well, he found out at the Malaysia-Singapore customs office that his passport was EXPIRED!! So he opted to take a bus up to KL and spend time with our other cousins instead. By the time I knew it was too late for me to go down and meet him. Poor guy... but I'm sure he had a good time in KL too. It's just that he missed the buffet breakfasts and fine dinners...
Talking about fine dinners, one of the dinners I ate was seafood at Jumbo restaurant. That was super-delicious! We had chilli crab with mantou, Peking duck, and the crispy baby squid that my mom had been dreaming of for a long time. I didn't realise Singapore had such great food until I ate here. Sorry no pics. :(
No pics because I just got a camera! Well, it's really a hand-me-down from my mom who got herself a cool new camera, but I'm satisfied. Now I have a camera for the ball (the colour complements my dress by the way hee hee) and all other activities besides that.
Lastly, the Fantastic Females Foxes (that's the IMU female futsal club) joined a futsal competition last week and they did very well! Congrats to all you rocking people who took part!
Okay, back to studying: article report, elective report, tutorial notes, lecture notes, meetings, meetings, meetings...

No comments: