It's late.
I close my eyes, and hear the rattling of the door, the whining of the wind rushing through the passageways. The insistent clinks of the windchimes draw me outside, eager to feel the strength of this mighty breeze.
I'm outside.
At the edge of the balcony, I tiptoe outwards, craning to catch a whiff of the wind. There is none, although all around, the tree furiously rustle, the chimes continue their discordant tinkling and the clouds rush hurriedly by. I resign myself, still on tiptoe, to just seeing the wind move others.
Then a gentle breath of air flops my hair over my forehead. Here I am, it seems to say, the wind you were waiting for. Its certain caress seems, now, more welcome than a buffetting blow of air.
A few passes and it is gone, but I feel refreshed beyond measure.
I close my eyes, and hear the rattling of the door, the whining of the wind rushing through the passageways. The insistent clinks of the windchimes draw me outside, eager to feel the strength of this mighty breeze.
I'm outside.
At the edge of the balcony, I tiptoe outwards, craning to catch a whiff of the wind. There is none, although all around, the tree furiously rustle, the chimes continue their discordant tinkling and the clouds rush hurriedly by. I resign myself, still on tiptoe, to just seeing the wind move others.
Then a gentle breath of air flops my hair over my forehead. Here I am, it seems to say, the wind you were waiting for. Its certain caress seems, now, more welcome than a buffetting blow of air.
A few passes and it is gone, but I feel refreshed beyond measure.
'The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.'
1 Kings 19:11-12
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.'
1 Kings 19:11-12
God, your grace is great. Let me feel the small wonders of the gentle breezes that you send my way.
--Written Predawn 2/4/2005

No comments:
Post a Comment