Comfort - it comes from Latin com-, meaning with, and fortise, meaning stregth (like fort in English or forte in Italian). So what we know as "to give solace" actually means "to give strength" in its original form - to comfort = to give strength. The question is, how does one give comfort/strength when one does not have strength to distribute? Only God knows, and can provide.
On other matters, the Klang Valley Bible Conference held last week was instructive. Couldn't get many IMU-ians to go but I'm glad I went. Michael Raiter, the speaker, started with a timely reminder that Christianity is NOT the prosperity gospel, but a journey fraught with pain and suffering, like Jesus' journey to the cross, and finished with a new (to me anyway) take on the parable of the talents. More about this on later days. Also met an old friend there - nice surprise. :)
Also, the 3rd inter-medical school physiology quiz was held in UM last Saturday and IMU put up a strong and magnificent performance! Our goal was to at least pass the 1st round, and both teams IMU A and IMU B did that in style, trouncing each team that we faced. (Incidentally, both the teams were from East Malaysia. Go figure how coincidence works. :P) In the 2nd round, IMU A gave UM, the eventual winners, a run for their money by actually leading until the 2nd/3rd round of questions. IMU B went down fighting as well. In the end, we could answer many of the final round questions, and that tells us that IMU has the potential to win the finals. Juniors take note! Congratulations to CK (leader of the physio quiz teams), Ai Ling, San San, Shieh Ning, Tong Saa (of IMU A) and my team-mates Zen, Chin, Ivy and YK for being surviving the "horrors" of the quiz! :) Not to mention our faithful supporters Sheena and Adeline Teo for staying till the end.
Later that day YK and I joined Sheena to worship at SFX. It was an enjoyable enlightening experience for me, though I don't think I'll change my denomination just yet. (*grin*)
And to top off the day was a eerie performance by the Theatre Babel of Shakespeare's Macbeth. Soemtimes their Scottish accent was a bit too strong to be understood, but the essence of the play was fully brought out, thanks in part to the 2 dozen or so silver swords hanging above the stage, reflecting the various lights. Also the gloomy lighting, and the ever-present CO2 fog that drifted around and was used effectively in changing actors in the background into disembodied faces of the spirits. The KLPAC building itself is beautiful, and its surroundings promise to be so too, when they finally finish with what they plan to do - change the golf course into a Malaysian Times Square. I'm definitely anticipating more visits here, especially since I know the way already.
CNS (central nervous system) starts today and thinking about it is already making me nervous (don't mind the pun). Also, IMU Cup and the various sporting events is here. Strength to my muscles so that I can perform well in the sports I participate in, and strength to my brain so that it can learn about itself.
Monday, September 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment