A short post before my sabbatical - about this movie everyone's probably going to see, and will be disappointed. Yeah, I didn't really like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - the movie. (The book was great though, so go read). This mini-review is in honour of the giver of the free premier ticket, Elena, who reviewed the movie in length here - a BIG thank you to her! Part II of the review is here by an equally disappointed viewer. So this is part III (actually by its length it should be an appendix, but never mind).
Having no Quidditch World Cup was fine by me really, because they showed the important part of what happened there, ie. the Death-Eaters. However, it would have been nice if they'd shown more of the mascots, especially the Bulgarian ones (maybe they had not enough imagination to draw them up). They also cut out a lot of things from the book, like the house-elves, how the badges came up (the appearance of the Potter Sucks badges were altogether very sudden) etc. The best part about the Triwizard Cup was the second task, which, even though short, was the most elaborated part of the competition (that tells one a lot about the movie). The dragon (1st task) was short and not at all like the book, and the maze was dark, and frankly boring. Voldemort was quite inspiring I think (he probably saved the last part of the show at the cemetary for me) but his appearance was quite diabolical, to the point I thought they should censor it out for the kids - in case they got nightmares. But maybe I like Voldemort because it's Ralph Fiennes. hee hee
One more thing about the movie: Cho Chang, or rather, Katie Leung, is a bad actor. I could probably act better than her, and I act bad. Very disappointing, especially for Harry's love interest.
I should probably stop here, or my mini-review will become as lengthy as Elena's. Conclusion: read the book, then go see the movie, but in the movie, forget about the book.
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment