Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A post by the way

It's amazing how small things can brighten up one's day. I was walking home from school one afternoon, fuming at how awful a class (actually 2 classes) had been. Along the way, some work was being done on the sidewalk and the workers had put up some cones in the middle of the road. A truck passed by as I was walking at that area, and knocked two of the cones down. I contemplated just walking on, but since I was already passing the fallen cones I thought I'd save the workers the trouble and pick them up.
I was getting ready to walk on, when a voice shouted "Ah Moi!" from behind me. I turned back and there was this middle-aged Chinese man, brown from the sun, complete with a straw hat and black boots. He was a typical manual worker, but what drew me to pause from turning myself on my way again was the smile he had on - a big toothy grin. And although I couldn't catch all the Chinese he said (something about ai xin or around those lines) it just put a smile on my face, and a spring in my step as I made my way back home.
I don't know who was touched more, but I know I could have missed that small opportunity to bless others AND myself, if I had just walked on, doing my business. It's a lesson I'm still learning.

No comments: