Friday, May 11, 2007

Lizard spit?

When the GP I am currently attached to asked me, "You haven't heard of lizard spit?" when we were discussing the treatment of diabetes, I thought I heard her wrongly. It must be a name of a drug - lisarspid? lizer-speed? And as expected, her "I'll tell you later" never really arrived.

After several unfruitful tries with variations of lizard spit sound-alikes, a search for "new treatment diabetes" turns up this article from the Telegraph:

Scientists have developed a new treatment for the disease following the discovery that a chemical in the saliva of the pink and black Gila monster contains a chemical in its saliva, which is similar to a human hormone that helps regulate blood sugar.


Exenatide (trade name Byetta) is a synthetic form of an enzyme from the Gila monster's saliva which helps the lizard regulate its blood sugar levels in between its far-spaced meals. It increases glucose-induced insulin procduction in the beta islet cells, while decreasing inappropriate glucagon production.

This almost has a Darwinian feel to it, though it doesn't involve Galapagos lizards, or a finding as shocking. But I think questions asked would be similar - like how people would have asked how he got to his theories by observing lizards, I would ask how on earth did the researchers come up with something like this from lizard's spit?! The wonders never cease.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tot spit of gila monsters are poisonous?

Grace said...

i'm not sure abt that.. but they just extracted that one enzyme. mad scientists...

Anonymous said...

gila monster sounds more like an insult than a reptile to me.. lol.. n yeah, i was thinking of something along the lines of "actrapid" too..

Grace said...

kenj: that's coz we noe gila as crazy mah... u made me curious, so wikipedia-ing, "gila" is actually pronounced "hee-la", after the Gila river basin in Arizona. a tribe of indians stay around there too. can't help snickering - gila indians. :P