Sunday, September 30, 2007

Burmese Tensions

One of the downsides of student-hood is that you tend not to buy/suscribe to newspapers, and you get left out of the flow of news around you. So I was glad that Time was on top of the news and managed an article about the horrors in Myanmar as it was happening.

It's amazing how the situation changed so drastically when the monks started protesting against the government in their passive way - prayers, and alm bowls turned over. The monks were a rallying symbol to the Myanmarese and cracking down violently on them would serve only to rally them more, and even rally other countries' support of the masses, like that which is happening now, potentially and hopefully leading to a rise of a new government.

I don't know what was the straw that broke the camel's back, but it's high time something like this happened, really. I think the junta have been in reign for 45 years, and Aung San Suu Kyi has been on house arrest for many of those years too. A change is due. Does God listen to prayers not being said to Him? I don't know the answer to that, but the God of mercy will surely not let these united pleas fall on deaf ears.

No comments: