I can't believe how beautiful today is! Azure blue skies, warm friendly sun, cooling breeze in the air... if it could be today everyday it would be great. The weather was enough to make me feel optimistic about interviewing left-of-centre people again. But you bet your bottom dollar that the weather'll turn by this weekend, unfortunately.
Or perhaps it was the enjoyable evening out I had with 2 amazing women just last night. They were 2 workers with the community mental health team at the nearby psychiatric hospital, whom I joined for home treatment visits. Such fun and laughter in the car, but that didn't distract them from the task at hand, which was to make sure the patients under their care were coping well and compliant with medication. And the variety of patients were just amazing - we went from grotty council houses, to dim townhouses where even I would get depressed and suicidal, to the most normal of houses where you wouldn't dream that there was someone ill inside. It goes to show that you can't judge books by their covers, and that there are probably more mentally ill people that you care to admit. The stars of the night were definitely the 2 workers though - caring for their families while caring for these mentally ill people whom I would easily leave alone in exasperation! No, psychiatry's not for me. Though I like the idea of visiting people in their homes, and seeing them in their own environment. Any medical specialties with that kind of thing? I don't think so...
Still no internet back home till next week, so pictures hopefully then! Or when the family's come and gone...
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Home visits? I'd say family medicine...
Or nursing *grin*
nursing... LoL a bit too late for that suggestion! anyway, nursing doesn't involve more home visits than medicine! doesn't it?
Post a Comment