Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Two Women

In one clinic, a woman:

Cool, calm and collected, exuding an air of confidence,
Knowing everything in her life is right - job, man, friends;
categorically stating with a hint of defiance:
I don't want this child, I'm very sure of my decision.
I've done this before and I don't see myself having children,
So please do this for me, so I can continue with my life?

The same day, another woman:

Nervous, concern making her fumble with what to say:
"I've lost one before, is this one here to stay?"
The sound waves can hardly lie, her precautions have come to naught.
Her face falls, and when her husband arrives
she crumbles into his arms and cries her heart out
as arrangements are made for her to be... evacuated.

One day, two women, one inevitable outcome, yet two opposite paths taken.
From one it was wrenched away, from another it was willingly given.
What world we live in, where one tries unsuccessfully to get what another relinquishes readily?

No comments: