Friday, June 27, 2008

have a break, have a blogpost

I think it's sad that the closer exams come, the more I can only think and speak about them. So I'm going to try and think about some other things, for a small change!

Like Wimbledon for instance. I've been following it online (www.wimbledon.org, with its point tracker, as-it-happens blog, and online radio, is amazing for that!) and wishing I were there, what with the big names dropping like flies in less-than-Wimbledonian weather (i.e. SUN!!). Notable victories are Zheng Jie's victory over first-seeded Ana Ivanovic, any of Federer's victories, Safin's running over Djokovic, Sharapova's oust, the Brits' progress through the rounds... I wonder what will happen over the weekend and next week? Hopefully Jankovic and Zheng will do well, and Federer will survive the picking off of the seeds.

UEFA finals too - Germany vs Spain. Sure to be interesting, but I guess I won't be actually watching that.

Graduations abound, blessed by the good weather. Congrats Kat! It was great being able to meet up with your family too :) And congrats to all my IMU year-mates who graduate this year, and other friends as well. Your turns this year, my turn next year if all goes well!

Speaking of which, it's really a blessing to be able to hear stories of peoples' lives, either directly or indirectly. God is truly at work! As for me, it just seems like studying for exams is my burden to bear, my catalyst for God's work in my little old life to be shown to me. As I get more tied down with the immense load that has to be squished into the brain, the more I hear/read inspiring stories/sermons of how God works, and I can have faith that although things aren't going as I like it to be, in the end, it'll work out the way God wants it to be, which is the best in the long run anyway. I just can't help hoping that that plan involves me passing these exams, because I'm trying to study hard for it!

(Here I am talking about exams again.)

JF recently remarked that she found it amazing that she and her close friend were experiencing similar things, just separated by time. I think that's pretty amazing; what may be more amazing is two people experiencing similar things at the same time, just separated by vast space.

One of my good friends now is a Gershwin songbook, and am trying to practise several favourite songs. My half-hour at the piano, when I concede it to myself, is an oasis of not very well-played standards but music to my ears and heart.

Brother's back in Kuching, having the time of his life. *envy* But I'll be getting a package from home soon (yay!) and with it another fond meeting with familiar people. Small pleasures are good pleasures.

Okay, last random thing. RC just told me that the most commonly used British slang word is "nincompoop". I think people just say "stupid" now. What fall from "elegance"!

No comments: