Friday, December 19, 2008

2008 is over...

Ski trip was amazing - making the runs successfully (albeit slightly slowly) down a majestic mountain covered in inches of snow, getting used to having long blades stuck to my feet and graduating from awkward snow-ploughing to parallel skis and learning how to do the stylish swishes pro skiers do, and the awesome vistas of the mountains and the interspersed valleys, especially on the last day when all the clouds and fog cleared. The only dent in the whole experience is the fact I twisted my knee on what was supposed to be my penultimate run down the full beginner's slope on that lovely last day, thus finally including myself into the ranks of the sports-injured. Thankfully there hasn't been any pain or diffuse swelling, just slight stiffness and instability, and movement has been improving day by day. Everyone seems to be having fun looking at my "Robocop" leg, even more so I think because we medical students have the unnatural fascination with anything medical. I hope, as my dad says, it's just a sprain!

So, sitting at home on New Year's Eve, away from the cold and the crowd and any possibility of standing long periods on my good leg, I take the time to reflect and pen down my thoughts (or attempt to anyway). What has the year been for me?

Well, if life is truly a marathon to be run, then this year could possibly be that time in the marathon when all things meld together and each step, or each day, is a struggle. Not every day, and not everything has become a blur - certain things still stand out, and there've been quite a few highs, like a sudden ray of sunlight cutting through the gloom, or a bunch of shady trees filtering the punishing sun, or a group of supporter's cheers piercing and supporting you through your mask of concentration. Nevertheless, this year is like hitting what marathoners call "the wall", and since I've gotten through this year I've broken through the wall and things will get better. After all, this year was written finals year, and a cold winter year, and a year of getting used to social circle sizes which I'd probably have when I start working.

And a year of thinking of the future, with job application forms and decisions, news and rumours about scholarship issues, and plans for leaving or staying, for comings and goings. With next year filled with major landmarks - CNY at home (at least 4th day onwards), elective in PNG with a stopover in Brisbane, last undergraduate exams, graduation, and starting work, it promises to be a year of big joy, surprises and achievements, but with the potential for big disappointments as well. But through and above all that, I hope to grow and thrive and bloom, and help others to do that too. Here's to the new year!

Whatever your outlook for the next year might be,
I hope you will see what you expect to see
and more, that everything will be just divine,
in this year of 2009!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Hey Grace! How are you doing? I see Brisbane as part of your 2009 plans...hahaha...do give me a call when you are in town...will bring you around...if i'm NOT WORKING!! ARGH....

Anonymous said...

happy 2009 :)