Stuck in an “ulu” area. I throw myself into my work and slave away. I read voraciously – all my books, magazines, old newspapers – all of them I read until I know each word by heart. I explore my surroundings – hike, jungle-trek, swim, play with the local children, talk to the adult-folk. I bring out my sewing, and when my eyes are tired from staring at black and white markings, I stare instead at the colourful threads I use. I enjoy myself, but at the same time I’m relieved to get back to civilization, and an internet connection. I live again.
I came across this question in a survey when I was surfing the net, and that was my answer for it. Not very good, and not extensive, but what can you say in 100 words? In my mind, I was thinking of clinical postings, both now in medical school, and later when I graduate, where the places I'd be sent to would have no internet connection at all. How would I live? Even during the one week we were in Kuala Kubu Baru, the group of us endured a tortoise-slow connection just to get on the net!
A long time ago I was restricted to weekends only on the computer, and my internet use was limited to mIRC and Hotmail. Usually internet use just filled Friday nights - I could live without going on (although there was a time where I hAD to chat on IRC... so silly now that I think about it...). Nowadays I access the internet every weekday, and every weekend if possible. It's so easy to get on - I just go to the computer lab and log onto the computer. IMU's servers are nothing to boast about, but they are sufficient for me. And back at the apartment, I have a dial-up connection which I use at night and on weekends. All of this means I spend quite a lot of time online, doing everything, and nothing.
What would I do without the internet? Well, I'd probably see more of my textbooks. *grin* But not only to study, for I'd have to rely on them for research. I'd be able to spend more time with my books, and maybe music too. More time for exercise and play? Perhaps... I'd have to time to write and send letters to people far and near, instead of the convenient MSN Messenger or e-mail. I'd have to go to the post office and other places to pay bills. No up-to-date news, since I don't buy newspapers. And I'd lose a multi-faceted tool of education and entertainment.
So how would I do without the internet? I'd do fine, thanks, but I think I'd do better with it. :)
What would YOU do without Internet access?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment