Monday, September 13, 2004

Shoulder to Lean On

Child of My love, lean hard,
And let Me feel the pressure of your care;
I know your burden, child. I shaped it;
Balanced it in Mine Own hand; made no proportion
In its weight to your unaided strength.
For even as I laid it on, I said,
"I will be near, and while she leans on Me,
This burden will be Mine, not hers;
So will I keep My child within the circling arms
Of My Own love." Here Lay it down, nor fear
To impose it on a shoulder that upholds
The government of worlds. Yet close come:
You are not near enough. I would embrace your care;
So I might feel My child reclining on My breast.
You love Me, I know. So then do not doubt;
But loving Me, lean hard.

--From Streams in the Desert


Thanks Rach for reminding me of "My favourite things"! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful excerpt. REally needed to know that this week. Hope you are coping well with uni too.

love, rach